The sales of tablets is growing fast and the tablets have become one the most frequently purchased mobile electronic devices. However, an inspection conducted by UKE showed that half of the inspected tablets did not conform to formal or technical requirements.
The inspections performed by the Office of Electronic Communications covered the whole tablet market in cross section. In particular, emphasis was put on testing cheaper devices which enjoy interest of the widest consumer group.
The UKE inspectors verified products' documentation and CE marking as well as they performed laboratory tests for compliance with the requirements defined for radio transmitters and transceivers and with electromagnetic compatibility requirements.
It is hereby reminded that manufacturers placing the tablets in the market should:
- carry out a conformity assessment procedure;
- issue a declaration of conformity;
- place CE marking on the product;
- attach a declaration of conformity or a statement of compliance with the requirements;
- attach information allowing identification of a country or geographic area in which a given device may be used;
- attach information allowing identification of public network termination points to which a given device may be connected.
The inspection covered 104 devices
that were chosen at random. In addition, the samples of 31% of the products underwent detailed lab tests.
Only in relation to 47
inspected devices (which makes some 45%) no irregularities were found.
In 43 cases
, the entities responsible for placing the products in the market effectively removed the irregularities found during inspection so that the product could continue to be sold. This means that ultimately the share of compliant devices as a result of the inspection conducted by UKE reaches at present the level of 87%
Out of the remaining 14 devices
which did not comply with the requirements 3 devices were withdrawn from the market and in two cases the President of UKE ordered that the device could not be made available. In relation to the remaining 11 products administrative proceedings were launched.
The measurement campaign conducted by UKE showed that a large part of the devices in the market did not comply with the requirements. What is particularly relevant for consumers, the lab tests for the most part showed that the devices did not comply with the essential (structural) requirements and required improvements.
The devices that are not compliant with the essential requirements with regard to voltage conducted disturbance at mains terminals
may interfere with the operation of other devices connected to the same power supply network. Conducted disturbance is transmitted via electrical system cables and manifests itself most frequently as interference in the operation of radio and TV transmitters.
The devices not compliant with the essential requirements with regard to the disturbance field strength
may interference with the operation of other nearby devices. Radiated disturbance reaches other nearby devices in the form of electromagnetic waves. Radiated disturbance may interfere with, and in certain cases prevent, proper operation of other radio devices dependent on radiocommunication.
The companies that fail to remove inconsistencies in the course of administrative proceedings may be subject to the following sanctions
- ordering withdrawal of the product from the market or service;
- prohibition to make the product available;
- limitation on making the product available;
- ordering the party to the proceedings to notify the product consumers or users about non-compliance with the essential or other requirements, specifying the time limit and the way of notification;
- ordering repurchase of the product at the request of people who own it, and if found that the product poses significant risk that is not possible to be eliminated in a different way, ordering destruction of the product at the cost of the party to the proceedings.
The cooperation of most undertakings that place products on the market with the President of the Office of Electronic Communications and remedial actions taken with respect to non-compliant products should be assessed in a positive way.