The President of the Office of Electronic Communications (hereinafter UKE) is a regulatory authority responsible for telecommunications and postal activities, management of frequency resources and compliance with electromagnetic compatibility requirements. It is also a specialised authority with respect to the inspection of products radiating or susceptible to radiation of electromagnetic field, including apparatus and telecommunication devices placed on the Polish market.
The scope of tasks performed by the President of UKE is defined by the following legal acts:
- the Act of 16 July 2004 - Telecommunications Law (hereinafter Telecommunications Act),
- the Act of 23 November 2012 - Postal Law (hereinafter Postal Act),
- the Act of 30 August 2002 on conformity assessment system,
- the Act of 13 April 2007 on electromagnetic compatibility,
- the Act of 14 September 2012 on obligations relating to information on energy consumption by energy-using products,
- the Act of 7 May 2010 on supporting the development of telecommunications services and networks (hereinafter Mega-law),
- the Act of 30 June 2011 on the launch of digital terrestrial television.
Main regulatory activities carried out by the President of UKE in 2014:Investments and infrastructure development
- supporting implementation of mechanisms to encourage investments,
- monitoring and reporting on the state of infrastructure and services,
- creating incentives for investment.
- defining product and service markets,
- selecting optimal regulatory measures,
- striving to develop principles of cooperation among operators, as well as between the Regulator and undertakings,
- predictability and transparency of market regulation.
Use of frequency resources
- raising consumers’ awareness of their rights and obligations,
- supporting the assurance of quality, transparency and safety of services,
- enhancing Poles’ skills in the scope of new technologies.
Liberalisation of the postal market
- identifying market needs,
- controlling the rules and efficiency of spectrum use,
- acquiring frequency resources and making them available,
- harmonization of radio spectrum use.
Main activities of the President of UKE in 2014Activities carried out by the President of UKE for the benefit of consumers in individual cases (interventions, mediations, advice)
- implementation of regulatory tasks arising from the Postal Act,
- strengthening the protection of consumer interests and their rights,
- ensuring access to universal service,
- stimulating postal operators to improve the quality of services.
In 2014 UKE carried out 2878 mediatory proceedings, 1365 (47.43%) of which were completed in favour of consumer. The Office examined 5474 applications for intervention of the President of UKE, 3857 (70.46%) of which were completed in favour of consumers. Within the interventions and mediatory proceedings carried out by the President of UKE in 2014 the Office “recovered” 1 434 670.69 PLN for the benefit of consumers.Regulation of Market 5 (wholesale broadband access)
Decisions issued in 2014 have, for the first time since 2007, comprehensively addressed the wholesale broadband access market in Poland. As a result, they should encourage incumbent’s and alternative operators’ investment decisions through the introduction of predictable and stable regulatory rules. Regulations of the President of UKE constitute a decisive step towards liberalisation of this market and increase of investment. They result in lack of regulatory burden for the wholesale broadband access market in 76 effectively competitive municipal areas. The lack of regulation in the competitive areas will serve as an additional incentive to increase investments in new infrastructure for both Orange Polska and alternative operators interested in expanding the coverage of their offer and the number of service users. On the other hand, regulation in non-competitive areas of Market 5 will allow for further service competition based on the Orange infrastructure, in order to ensure that users achieve maximum benefits as regards the variety, price and quality of telecommunications services.Internet access services provided by local government units
One of the most important activities carried out by the President of the UKE in 2014 was the improvement of investment processes in telecommunications, i.a. through the creation of opportunity for local government units to provide telecommunications services to end-users on the basis of owned infrastructure and telecommunications network. In 2014, 99 administrative proceedings on the consent for the provision of free Internet access by local government units or for a fee lower than the market price were conducted before the President of the UKE. In 2014 the President of the UKE issued 42 decisions in total.Multiplex 1 (MUX1)
At the beginning of 2014 MUX1 media content was changed. Activities carried out by the President of UKE caused Telewizja Polska S.A. to gradually vacate place on MUX1, which allowed for the introduction of new TV programmes.Digital radio
On 18th July 2014 the President of UKE issued a decision changing the frequency reservation for the radio multiplex No 3 issued for Polskie Radio, allowed it to broadcast additional radio programmes in the multiplex and defined a new timetable of launching subsequent broadcasts. Polskie Radio S.A. or Polskie Radio regional radio stations shall obtain licenses for these programmes from the Chairman of the National Broadcasting Council. Auction for frequencies in the 791-816 MHz and 832-857 MHz bands as well as in the 2500-2570 and 2620-2690 MHz bands
On 10th October 2014, after two public consultations, the President of UKE announced
an auction for 19 frequency licenses in the 791-816 MHz and 832-857 MHz bands and the 2620-2690 MHz and 2500-2570 bands. On 15th December 2014 the President of UKE published a list of participants qualified for the second stage of the auction.
Contest for the designation of postal operator to provide universal services
On 30th December 2014 the President of UKE announced in daily newspaper ("Rzeczpospolita") and at the UKE's BIP (Public Information Bulletin) website a contest for the designation of postal operator to provide universal postal services within domestic and international traffic. Responsibilities of the new designated operator shall cover the period of 10 years from 1st January 2016 until the end of 2025. Interested operators were invited to submit their offers to the UKE headquarters until 14th April 2015.
The Report is available in Polish.